Position: Finance Senior Associate/Manager, Valuation
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to: Finance Controller
This role is a newly created dynamic position on the Finance team to focus on optimizing the quarterly valuation process leveraging the Chronograph Portfolio Monitoring platform. Reporting to the Finance Controller, this hire will be responsible for all aspects of the quarterly valuation process including preparing models, coordination with investment teams, and preparing summary reports to facilitate review by the Portfolio Committee.
Specific Responsibilities include:
• Preparation of excel valuation templates for portfolio of 110+ investments to facilitate valuation recommendations by investment sponsors o Rolling forward templates for existing investments from prior quarter
o Creating templates for new investments that were closed each quarter
o Making quarterly updates to existing company level transactions that occurred in the quarter (e.g. recapitalizations)
o Maintenance of third-party comparable company database
o Create, maintain, and update other model based valuations, where applicable
• Liaise with investment teams across multiple offices and industries to conclude on each company valuation on quarterly basis o Review of valuation submissions on a quarterly basis to ensure mechanically accurate and conclusions are reasonable in accordance with US GAAP
o Preparation of summary schedules to facilitate Portfolio Committee Meetings
o Key participant in Valuation and Portfolio Committee Meetings
• Become “Expert” in the Chronograph platform o Manage work-flow functionality to facilitate quarterly submissions by investment teams
o Work closely with SRG Portfolio Analyst on cross-functional Chronograph initiatives
o Work closely with Fund Accounting team to optimize data flow between Chronograph, the Accounting System, and valuation templates
• Preparation of annual, quarterly and ad hoc analyses to monitor and analyze the performance of the companies in the portfolio
o Valuation summary schedules and slides for quarterly reporting
o Ad hoc analysis related to fund raising, investor questions, etc. (e.g. Valuation multiple trends vs. industry benchmarks)
• Coordinate with auditors o Respond to all questions on valuation review
o Provide support for input / back testing
• 4-8 years of relevant professional experience including Big 4/large firm public accounting experience, with relevant focus on private company valuation in accordance with US GAAP
• CPA is preferred
• Driven and articulate with strong interpersonal skills. Candidate needs to be a “team player” and able to work successfully with various functions across the organization
• Keen attention to detail with strong project management and organizational skills
• Strong working knowledge of data analytics and financial reporting
• Strong excel and power point skills
• Experience with business intelligence/data analytics tools such as SQL, Alteryx, PowerBI, Tableau, etc. (not required but helpful)
Characteristics of an Outstanding Performer:
• A bright, creative, and confident professional who has a sense of urgency and is able to support sustained growth by improving systems and procedures.
• A hard worker with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude who is motivated to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• A self-starter who takes initiative with tasks and projects and has the ability to handle multiple responsibilities.
• A person who is flexible and who doesn’t draw finite lines around responsibilities.
• A dedicated, detail-oriented, enthusiastic and energetic professional who has: o A high degree of service orientation towards everyone inside and outside the organization.
o A high standard of integrity, character and professionalism.
o An ability to prioritize workflow in a challenging and evolving environment.
o Solid communication skills, both written and verbal.
o Strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
o An ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
o An ability to positively interact with all levels of partners and staff.
Compensation and Benefits:
• A highly competitive package that includes a base salary plus annual performance bonus.
• Company currently pays 100% of medical, dental, disability and life insurance coverages.
• Company currently contributes 15% of compensation to employee-directed retirement